View Single Post
mdeloria

2005-02-24, 13:42

This is my first post, but I have been lurking at this forum for a couple of months.

I am a windows convert of about a year now. I purchased a 12" G3 ibook, the last G3 model before the ibook went to G4. Safe to say, although I love this ibook and OS X, I have had a lot of problems.

First, my computer is definently a victim of the Logic Board problem common in this version of the ibook. I have sent it in twice already for repairs for the similar video failure. In fact, I have never had my ibook working for a period of 6 months straight. It is becoming a serious problem because I am a CS student in college and I absolutely need a laptop.

Well, after I return from class today, guess what? The ibook's screen is frozen once I open the lid. It didn't go to sleep for some reason and all I could hear is this weezing noise which I believe was the fan. So I look at the laptop, try to get it to rewake or something, and then smoke starts coming from hinge near the screen. Not Good. I pop out the battery, it turns off, and I wait. So now I can't restart my ibook. It makes the traditional apple chime when I restart but no video and I hear this weird noise coming from the hinge. I try to hook up an external monitor and nothing comes up. I don't hear the hard drive clicking so I assume that is still intact.

Anyway, when I had my laptop repaired for the second time, I asked the technician what I would happen if this problem kept occuring. He said that if it does, that they will give me a new laptop (I have applecare thank god) that most closely matches mine. Well since they don't make G3's anymore, looks like I would get a G4 ibook. So I have kinda been waiting for this problem to occur again.

So my question is two fold. First, is there anyway that I can get my computer to start up in safe mode or something so I could get a screen and get some files off my hard drive. I kinda also want to reset the Pram cause i have that screen spanning hack (always had it and apple never complained or noticed when I sent it in the first two times). So is there a way to do that with the current condition of my laptop.

Second, how do I put pressure for Apple to give me a new laptop? Its clear that the G3's have serious problems when it comes to the logic board. I just want to convey that the only way they can remedy the problem is by giving me a new laptop. Has anyone gone through a similar experience? How has apple responded in the past when it came to constantly repairing the same computer?

Thanks in advance for any of your responses and or advice

-Matt

I hope this is the right forum, if not, move accordingly