View Single Post
Is it 1981?

2009-11-23, 22:53

Not coffee-related (I tend to OD on fruit juice instead of coffee like everyone else in the studio) but three observations:
  • My local brand of electronics chain Maplin in the UK (similar to Radio Shack perhaps?) is unquestionably very anti-Mac.
    After selling me something they claimed was Mac-compatible (the salesman going so far to say he'd used it on a Mac himself), they were very resistant at refunding me because I'd opened and broken the seal on the box (though none of the inner packaging after rifling through the manual that clearly specified Windows-only compatibility) and there wasn't anything technically wrong with it. They even cracked the 'You should've got yourself a proper computer then' joke which, judging by their smirks and chuckles among each other and following it up with "Lighten up!", they obviously thought was wittier and funnier than it really was. Took 28 days for the refund to go through as they have to test the product.

• People rarely say 'please', 'thank you' (etc)
    If you hold a door for someone, even basic eye contact from them as they walk through is rare. If you don't hold a door for them, they'll chide you for it – I've found middle-aged women are especially guilty of this; it's almost as if they expect people to hold doors for them. And let you get on the train first. And give them your seat. (etc)

• People will walk away from you if you need help
    While walking down some stairs to the Tube station after work one day, I walked past an American couple – who weren't responsible for what happened next – and slipped in front of them and fell down the stairs, cutting my arm and drawing blood. It wasn't a massive cut, but blood was healthily dripping and it needed covering properly. Not one person stopped, looked and asked if I was okay. That American couple behind me? They'd turned around and walked back up.

People are c**ts.

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard