View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-05, 15:48

Thanks for kicking off the new thread, turtle. I'll update the sticky thread and other "readme" pages later tonight with the correct server information.

Now that we're back on the "vanilla" Minecraft, I'm able to use Bukkit as the back-end server. This means that we once again have access to a bunch of neat commands that are offered by various Bukkit plugins.

The next time you're online, check out /help to see a list of some commands. Most notably, I've installed the Essentials plugin (see command reference) that provides some interesting commands like:
  • /back takes you back to where you died so you can try to fetch your loot
  • /afk toggles the AFK display (but it doesn't act like you're asleep like the other AFK we used to have)
  • /getpos tells you where you or another player is
  • /time tells you the in-world time; handy so you don't have to keep a watch/clock around while mining
  • /mail allows you to send messages to players even if they're offline
  • /sethome and /home allow you to set a home for warping and go to it (note: I haven't tested this)

There are a lot more cheat commands that Essentials offers that I'll be turning off once I get proper permissions set up on the server. We're running a pretty basic setup right now just so I could get things started. Please be a good citizen and try to resist the temptation to cheat until I get them locked down.

Essentials also includes a basic set of economy commands that creates an in-game currency. For any item, you can try /worth to see how much the server thinks it's worth. You can use /balance to see how much your bank account has. When you /sell an item, the server takes it from you and deposits the appropriate amount of money into your bank account. Your bank account stays around even when you die and respawn. Once you have money in your account, you can /pay another player for goods, services, etc. Another use of the economy that I haven't yet tinkered with is paid server services. For instance, maybe we enable arbitrary warping, but you have to pay something like a $10 toll each time you warp? Or maybe enable a command to repair your current tool and charge $50 per use? I'll think about ways to enable the economy commands that might make things interesting.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.