View Single Post
Tom the Piper's son

2006-02-07, 03:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt O'Keyes
Celeron???
I don't think it would be cost effective to put older chips in the mini when there are newer ones available, unless there is a problem with a more recent chip.
Sorry Matt —inter alia— (nothing personal ) but I still see the Mini idea (includes form factor with non-evolving box and somewhat unclear specs) as a very cool way of getting rid of perfectly efficient but outdated chips...
We shall probably see other "silent" mini upgrades when Apple decides to use up its redundant chip stocks as stocks evolve and other Apple products move upwards (they must still be tons of last-generation G5 chips lying around!). Once again, silent updates are frustrating, but you can't complain if you are getting what is "printed on the box", and not the upgrade others got!
Of course, this does not mean Apple will not produce the sort of state-of-the-art home video/Hifi equipment we have been imaginating (and drooling over!), but we can hardly call these "Minis" or hope that Apple will maintain its minimal price/equipment approach: an Apple Media Centre will come as the ipod did: up-market equipment, Ipods are still the amongst most expensive in the market and still selling like hell.
The Media Centre will use the latest available Intel technology and will therefore not be cheap, the Mini will however continue to be a bottom-line —but highly desirable— product.
I can't see Apple canabilising its premium top-notch market with a USD 500 machine!
I think the Mini is great value for money, and will, over the years, show its whole potential as a Trojan Horse for Windows-Ipod users...
Please do continue producing amazing to-be Apple products they are great!