View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-02-11, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR
When I lived in the States, the Olympics coverage always had me enraged. No events where the US isn't involved; or even more so, you need an American ready to WIN. Commercials commercials commercials; special interest stories about one-armed, one-eyed, lesbian Chinese bi-atheletes who grew up in the town dump eating cans.... (this while USA-Sweden ice hockey game is going on live (but it's 0-0 in the second period, so the ratings must be falling..)
Rage? Oh yes. No matter what, NBC coverage always just completely infuriates me while the athletes are walking in during the opening ceremony. I begin watching, all excited, happy, and eagerly anticipating seeing the athletes' faces from all these many countries. It's one of the things I most look forward to. But as soon as the procession begins, I become enraged at the camera work.

Just who *are* the people who make camera decisions? I'd like to bash them in the head repeatedly until they get the point that they should be showing what the television VIEWER is interested in seeing. HELLOOO!!! Is that too complicated a concept for these idiots? It's as if a 13 yr. old intern were making camera decisions. No, wait. I take it back. Any 13 yr. old would make far better decisions. *seethe*

(NBC planners) Let's see, we can give *20 seconds* of camera time to each nation's athletes as they walk in. Now, how can we most effectively infuriate the viewer?

Step one: of the 20 seconds available, let's spend a whole TEN seconds with a long-shot of the Olympic rings for every single country, gradually moving in during the ten seconds on the sign showing the name of the country.

Step two: Now let's spend FIVE more seconds trying to catch a glimpse of the flagbearer - whose face is (surprise!) continually being obscured by the flag - but let's keep it a medium-distance shot, so that even if the flagbearer *does* become visible for a split-second, our camera range is too far out for the viewer actually to see his/her face.

Step three: we only have five seconds left now, so instead of showing the actual athletes who are the entire reason for the existence of the games, let's be sure to get some great shots of some of these ancient coaches - you know, individuals that everyone's just *dying* to get a glimpse of.

Oh... and two seconds total of one athlete; another two seconds of another athlete - specifically selected because he has his own camera almost completely obscuring his face.

(Viewer, who had foolishly hoped to see close-ups of as many athletes' faces as possible, is now completely enraged, because the exact same camera work is slavishly followed for every single country. )

And I completely agree with AWR about coverage restricted to US athletes. I'd *love* to get to know more about all the other fascinating athletes from so many other countries.

Oh well, sorry. Just *had* to get some of that off my chest. *seethe*

On a positive note, I just love the idea of the Olympics, of gathering competitors from around the world, individuals who have dedicated themselves to seeking excellence. I think all the sports are exhilarating and wonderfully inspiring. It all makes me want to go out and strive for excellence too.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-02-11 at 15:00.