View Single Post
Wrao
Yarp

2007-02-28, 04:22

I recently discovered that there exists a file format for Nintendo 64 music emulation. Akin to .spc for Super nintendo, which Audio Overload plays wonderfully.

Unfortunately, there only seems to exist one player in the whole world that plays .usf format, and it appears to be windows only. By extension, it is a winamp plugin of all things.

For one, I am very surprised *no one* in the mac video game music dork community has risen to the occasion to code a .usf player. But also, I am astounded that there exists very miniscule support on windows and linux even. Perhaps it is an exceptionally difficult format to code for, but it only takes one application to kinda sorta work to get people into it. There are sites with hundreds of .usf files available for download. You'd think that with that kind of availability, there would be more players.

But, unfortunately, there is not. The source code for the winamp plugin is readily available. Would having that help someone to create a mac port? or otherwise make a player for OS X?

If anyone has any information about playing .usf files in OS X, I would very much like to know. Is this thread against the rules? I'm not sure of the legality of video game music emulation...