Thread: iPad Pro 2021
View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-23, 10:56

I owned an iPad Mini for about a year or so. When I started writing my second book, I realized just how much of a kludge the silly thing was. It was absolutely useless. I haven't owned an iPad since, and that was … 7 years ago?

Funny thing, my wife got me an iPad as a gift, but I had no use for it. She was really bummed about that until it landed in her mitts. Now, it's her everyday thing, but she is only interested in Facebook, Pinterest, and messaging. So it's perfect for her. Those things don't interest me and I'm not an artist, so I simply cannot find a use for the silly things—even at the Air or Pro level.

Totally useless.

In my experience whether in personal use, watching others, or selling the silly things, I have come to the conclusion that there are three markets for iPads:

1) I have money burning a hole in my pocket (any iPad will do up to the amount I want to spend on frivolous things);
2) I play Candy Crush (base 32GB iPad);
3) I am a serious creative type that professionally uses Procreate, Photoshop, and a handful of other creative-type apps (iPad Air will do in a pinch, but I want a bigger screen so the 12.9" Pro is my choice).

In these scenarios, there is absolutely no reason for the 11" iPad Pro to exist, and almost no reason for the iPad Mini to exist (although I do get the desire for some folks). Either the Air needs to go away, or the 11" Pro needs to go away, and the Mini needs a serious overhaul. Since the Air is the best overall value above the base iPad, the 11" Pro is just … dumb.

Edit: And now there's this utterly stupid thing! The new 12.9" iPad Pro does not work with the old iPad Pro Magic Keyboard. This is the dumbest accessory-related thing Apple has done in ages!

Seriously, unbelievable!

That is a $350 thing that will be rendered useless for a lot of upgraders. Apparently it's because the new 12.9" iPad Pro is .5mm thicker!

Well, at least they've given up on "thinner at any cost".

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-04-23 at 11:35.