View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-01-04, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKitterman View Post
Brad, Is you computer security world so small to include only OS X?
As chucker pointed out, this is the Month of Apple Bugs, focusing on Apple and its products. Questionable generalizations to relate with the whole computer software industry don't stand well.

Quote:
If disk wiping has been a part of commercial operating systems like you claim, why don't more people know about it?
Ignorance? Laziness? In most cases, it doesn't take a lot of research to figure out how to erase a disk.

Quote:
I searched for Solaris and it took a lot of finding
"newfs" or "mkfs"? I found explanations in mere seconds with my first search. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Quote:
Where is it in Windows?
fdisk has been around since the early DOS era and was included with Windows up through Windows Me. Windows XP includes a program called Disk Management. You can also erase drives and repartition from the Windows installation disc. This option has been available for as long as I can remember.
Quote:
Where is it in OS X?
Disk Utility. It's in your /Applications/Utilities folder as well as on the Mac OS X Install Disc and the Software Restore discs that are included with every Mac.

Quote:
So, when your done with your computer and are getting rid of it, you use Secure Erase on the whole hard drive?
Sure, if you're paranoid. A simple reformat is fine for most cases. Though, I ask again: what does this have anything to do with the Month of Apple Bugs?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.