Thread: E3 2011
View Single Post
Wrao
Yarp

2011-06-09, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
The dual screen handhelds work, IMHO, because of the proximity of the screens to one another. You don't have to move your eyes to see the other screen, only shift your attention. Your head doesn't need to move, etc. It's all right there but you're not attending to it. This thing? You'll have to move your head/eyes, orient yourself, do what you're wanting to do then move your head/eyes, orient yourself again on the larger screen. It's the definition of breaking the mood of a game.

Still though, when I play DS games, my focus is so completely dominated by one screen or the other, the second screen might as well not be there most of the time(save for, of course, the games that actively use both screens in tandem). Also, I really don't think in terms of field of vision that if you are reclining with the screenmote perched in front of you, that it will feel like a major distance/space leap to put your eyes up and focus on the main screen. In terms of forced perspective, the two will be right on top of each other.

The other thing to consider about the validity of this method of input is the fact that high-end home theater systems have used controllers like this for ages. Large, touchscreen enabled + buttons, outside of their usually having piss poor interfaces and sharp learning curves, the whole 'trying to look at two screens at once' problem just doesn't really come up, at least, not in my experience.