View Single Post
WrestleEwe

Send a message via Skype™ to WrestleEwe 
2007-01-05, 10:43

Although the MOAB may not be the correct way to deal with security issues. I believe it does raise some very valid questions about the current state of computer design/manufacturing.

I know that Apple has very high standards in its product QA, but a lot of other manufacturers do not.

Today, thanks to us consumers, Time To Market is so very important for a company to survive that quality standards are severely reduced. A lot of 1st gen products are simply not secure enough, or are so riddled with bugs, that they are in effect not useable until a fix or Rev. 2 is released.

For instance;

Apple released MAC OS 10.4 on 2005-04-29. the first security fix for it on 2005-05-03 and the first point-release on 2005-05-16.
That is a major release, security fix and a point release in 17 days.

My (KiSS) hardware dvd-player did not work correctly out of the box. I had to download a firmware upgrade and flash the player just to have what was advertised on the box. For a device that has a very limited feature list, that is ridiculous.

How long does Google keep it's services in Beta? Why?

Keeping in mind the very first sentence of this post, I believe that the general public should be made aware of these issues in whatever way possible. It is a very bad thing that most tech companies now only seem to release demo-products just because the public only buys (not wants, or needs) the product that is first to market.

We have to find a way so that consumers will demand products that are properly tested before they leave the factory.

--

re-reading this post I see that I've gone very OT here, but since I think it's a relevant and important issue, I'm going to post it anyway