Thread: Speaker Advice
View Single Post
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2004-06-02, 04:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Anyone have a recommendation for good quality (noise level is not important here) speakers with a headphone jack on them, for around $40-$60? It seems like all speakers are either crappy 2.1 systems that emphasize noise and booming sound over sound quality, or really expensive 5.1 or higher systems that are really more than I need. However, I'm only really familiar with Logitech's and Yamaha's lineups. Logitech has a headphone jack even on the low-end z-340, but those don't seem like my type. My current Yamaha YST-MS201s are great except no headphone jack, which I would really, REALLY like. Higher end Logitech speakers are all too expensive, and while Yamaha does have a few middle-of-the-road sets that fit my price range, the cheapest one that actually has a headphone jack is quite expensive and overkill for my needs.

I am not particularly familiar with Altec Lansing's offerings. What do they have available? I tried checking once and it seems as though they have so many speakers in their lineup that it's a bit overwhelming and hard to keep track of. I'm also not interested in Harman Kardon/JBL/Apple speakers, because they seem too expensive for what you get and they also don't have headphone jacks. I do have a pro speaker jack on my computer, but I don't want pro speakers.

Luca, remember the Ms50 yamaha speakers I got? Those seem like what you are looking for. They in deed have a headphone jack and I can assure you they sound phenomenal. The only way I can explain their characteristic is that they seem to output music without much effort (as I've found altec lansing which seems to put a lot of effort) The result is a lot more relaxed pure sounds.