Thread: Having Cancer
View Single Post
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-02-06, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester View Post
Please don't quote me on this and it probably depends on the type, but I thought it was one of the malignancies with a generally better prognosis. I have some recollection from a friend's dad who had it that there's quite a lot of argument amongst medico's about whether to operate, in older males at least, because it tends to be very slow growing.
The general medical consensus is that prostate cancer is what *will* eventually kill a male, if nothing else does. Something crazy like 85% of autopsied elderly males have it, but few die of it. When you hit the 70-80 year range, it's not the silent killer so much as the silent make-you-go-to-the-bathroom-in-the-middle-of-the-nighter.

Early detection is good, treatment is better, recovery is best.

Oh and drew, the word on the street is that you're going to want a nightgown for post-op, if it goes that way. Every single man in my father-in-law's friends circles who has had this has ended up wearing their wife's nightgown afterwards. Plan ahead, get something appropriately manly. With ruffles.

Keep us posted, keep your chin up, and we expect years more of poo stories, dammit!