View Single Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-18, 00:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, all these 21.5" iMacs going missing, discontinued variants, short supplies, etc. in the weeks prior to a press event...there's no way that's an accident. Something is coming. At the very least, an M1 in the current design. Which is just fine. It's another Mac sporting the new stuff.

If this chip shortage is factoring in, we might not see bigger, more impressive things until later this year (or beyond), but I do think it's nice/important if Apple could have all their sub-$1,499 Macs available in the M1 ASAP. As I say upthread, please/accommodate 85% of the population (because the M1 can/does). Demanding professional types are likely waiting for that second-generation, upgrade M-whatever anyway, but there's nothing to gain by making everyone else wait.

So do something Tuesday, even if it's just what they did in November with the notebooks. We know redesigns, new sizes, etc. are coming in 6-12 months. But for now, at least offer a 21.5" iMac with an M1.

Anything beyond that will just be icing, and a nice surprise.
Right now the 27" does start with the same [Core i5] processor as the 21", so I guess you could debut the whole new iMac line with the understanding that the Pro version is coming at WWDC. But it's really hard for me to picture an iMac unveil that shrinks back from showing how the new 30" iMac (or whatever) badly spanks the latest competition on the PC side. Apple really likes to show those kind of slides at intros.

If they're not ready to unveil the M1X, I think Apple would just intro the smaller machine with the M1 and leave the larger iMac to WWDC.