View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-26, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Actually, the price didn't change at all. You have to remember that Apple replaced the entry 21" 4k iMac at $1299 with a new entry 24" 4.5k iMac for $1299 with the same RAM and storage, but a larger display. So, in actuality the price stayed the same but you get a bigger display with higher resolution and a much faster processor and bus.
But didn't they remove a few ports and kinda knock down the graphics a bit as well? I know it all kinda shakes out (the newer, bigger screen is great).

But I'd never consider that $1,299 model...it seems a bit held back/crippled. I'd have to get the $1,499 (and then also pay a bit more for the 16GB RAM upgrade). What I used to get for $1,499 in the 21.5" iMac would now cost me $1,699. I consider that a $200 increase. Screen and processor aside, that $1,299 model isn't as "complete", across the board, as it once was IMO. The $1,499 model seems like the better option, even if you gotta tack on another $200(?) to bump up the RAM.

I suppose I could get the $1,299, bump up the RAM and be at my same $1,499. I just don't like the shortage of ports and the hobbled graphics, especially on that larger display. I'd hate for that to translate into any sort of "less than" experience for that money. I think the "full featured" $1,499 may be the smarter buy, with "legs".

That's really the only thing keeping me from loving the new iMac, just how things kinda got repositioned/shuffled a bit. The $1,299 just doesn't seem as good of a buy as it was a week ago, that's all. And I'm sure that's on purpose. They're probably hoping most go "hey, for just $200 more I get two more ports and the full-on 8-core graphics...whatever the hell that means."

But I do know that 8 is higher than 7, so...

Although I do have to say that I like they've taken the processor and graphics BTOs out of the equation, because maxing out a 21.5" iMac a week ago gets to the $2,000+ realm real quick. Although we've yet to see what they are going to allow/offer for upgrades because you can't get that far on their "buy now" section. A lot of things, about how these can be configured (and what it'll cost to do so) are still unknown until their pre-ordering goes live this Friday.

Maybe they're cutting the price on their RAM BTO?

And then I woke up.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-26 at 12:59.