View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-11, 08:07

I run a NAS and do my backups to it over the network. If you are operating of the NAS then you should be wired to the LAN. If you're just backing up with Time Machine then WiFi is fine.

The question is do you want/need to be able to move around while your connected to the drive? Seems like you don't need too, but if you could, would you? If so then go with a NAS instead. You can get ones with redundancy and simplicity built in. The initial setup is a little more costly, but still gives single disk failure protection (minimum) and then allows you to keep your data in your hands.

I will not send anything to Amazon, Google or others given I can't control their managing of my data. Personally, I'd rather (and did) buy two NASes and have one sync to the other. I might lose it all if my place burns down, but at least my data is protected.

If you look at a Synology NAS they have "Synology Drive" that is a direct competitor to Dropbox but to your own NAS. This allows you to sync on multiple devices as well as access those files from iOS/Android.

The DS418 is my most recent NAS (that replaced a physically damaged DS413j). It is well priced for it's specs and allows you to add up to four drives to it. Buy desktop external drives and shuck them for the NAS to save on the cost of NAS drives. Yes it voids the warranty on the external drive, but it is worth the gamble IMO.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.