View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-09-11, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I will not send anything to Amazon, Google or others given I can't control their managing of my data.
If/when I get around to syncing my backups to a cloud provider, it'll be using something like borg. I've been experimenting with borg locally for a while, and I think I like it. It's conceptually a bit like Time Machine in that you have point-in-time backups that are de-duplicated across each other so subsequent backups are small. You can also mount your backups (I think internally it uses FUSE) and navigate in the Finder or anywhere else like a normal attached disk. It's all command-line and cross-platform, which makes it much more powerful than Time Machine, but it comes with a fairly steep learning curve.

Oh, and the reason I mentioned it here following your quote is that borg backups are all encrypted by default (though I think you can opt out). So, you can sync anything and everything in your backup repos to the big cloud storage providers with reasonably high confidence that they can't snoop your contents.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.