Mr. Vieira

2021-01-12, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
- Tim Cook is retiring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Oh, that's an interesting guess.
I kinda pooh-poohed/glossed over this above, but I keep going back to it.

Not only retiring, but - and this is the sort of thing that would make Gayle King say what she did - he's throwing his hat into the political arena and he's going to put his money where his mouth is on political/cultural/social issues and run for...something.

I wouldn't think so, but nothing really surprises/shocks me anymore.

No way he'd retire and the do the yacht/idle gazillionaire thing. That doesn't seem like him at all. Tim Cook is the type who'd leave his comfy day gig to try to "make a difference", in whatever way. A "calling". He just strikes me that way, based on previous interviews, the things he talks about, etc.

If this was what was announced, it would not surprise me one bit.

I truly don't think that's what's coming, but, if it happened, I'd be like "well, yeah...I guess this has been scrawled across the wall for quite a few years now."

When it's not a product, then you gotta start considering all the other angles. I suppose, technically, the car thing is a product, but maybe if they're just playing up the overall initiative and partnership with Hyundai vs. "here's a new iThing, shipping immediately" like we'd expect in a "new product announcement".

Had a Gruber, Swisher, Snell or Mossberg had said "something bigger, better than a product announcement", then I'd be kinda excited because they'd be viewing it from the same angle we all would...something cool or tied to Apple/tech in some way. But that's not Gayle King's beat. Her saying it is more like Whoopi Goldberg or Anderson Cooper saying such a thing...tech isn't their bag/known area of focus, so they're looking at it from a completely different angle that would thrill/excite them. Something cultural/political and "serious news"-worthy, etc.

And it sounds like CBS/King bagged the main, choice interview on the matter, if she's teasing such stuff (I'm not seeing it elsewhere). Not a tech or financial outlet, as is sometimes the case.

I really don't know. I guess that makes it exciting and mysterious. We'll see in about 16 hours or so.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-12 at 17:54.