View Single Post
Anonymous Coward

2006-04-01, 02:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
~ discuss past films and any movie-related topics of interest to AN members.
What about a movie that will probably never be released on DVD (except on eBay)?
– one of those films you either like or don't like
– considered by some to be a cult movie
– speculation is that it will never be released because of licensing problems with the songs in its soundtrack
(including P.P. Arnold, Jeff Lynne, Culture Club/Helen Terry, Giorgio Moroder, Heaven 17, Phil Oakey, and Peter Frampton, and, of course, that doesn't include all the music used in the movie)
– mentions "Apple", as in computer, only once (but does include some Apple floppy disc drives)
– is one of the few movies including his sister that Michael Madsen might watch
– claimed to be one of the most pirated movies (because it is hard to find otherwise, except as an $80 VHS tape)
– features San Francisco, California, but most scenes were filmed in England

Electric Dreams (1984)
I saw it once many years ago and have been looking for it without success (that is, prior to the Internet).
I can watch it over and over, and don't really notice any slow spots. It's a nice story. Some of the language is slightly coarse by the standards at that time, but nothing that this generation would even notice as out of the ordinary. There's a nice sequence at the end of the credits. The storyline is probably predicable and familiar after all these years, but if you're going to watch this as a critic rather than just for entertainment, you probably won't like it. This isn't much of a review, but I won't do the movie any injustice by including anything else that might be a spoiler. (IMDB 5.9, Rotten Tomatoes: Rotten 40%, but do you really trust those people? Amazon 5/5. It's one of the three movies I own – Serenity, Electric Dreams, and The Sand Pebbles.)

I got the soundtrack a few weeks ago and have listened to it every day on my way to and from school. (Okay, so my tastes aren't the most sophisticated. The player in my car has James Taylor, Carly Simon, George Winston's December, and the Firefly TV series soundtrack. If I could find my CDs, I'd probably have Peter, Paul, and Mary or a bluegrass album also.) Yes, I keep skipping all the other CDs to repeat that one over and over.