View Single Post
SheerKhan

2005-12-25, 06:28

Hello to everyone and congrats for this excellent forum
Since my plasticky Asus laptop broke down over a month ago, I have been on the lookout for a Mac laptop. I am a native Unix user, and I want to break from cheap, flimsy plastic made laptops.
I have a deal here in Italy for a Powerbook G4 12.1 , one month old with full warranty, for 1100 euroes, which is around 600 euroes cheaper than a store price for the 12 inch powerbook. Granted that it is the older model, 1.5 Ghz G4 and 60 GB Ram with Combo Drive, but I figure I can live without the extra 20 GB and DVD writing capabilities.
I have catched up in the Intel speculations, and I am aware that a better machine may potentially spring out. My question is, will the Powerbooks really be beefed up in January, and more importantly, what is the timeframe to actually having a new MacTel on your lap? I understand a lot could be reveiled in a few days time in MWSF, but what I am looking at is actual availability times.
I am a freelance journalist on the article writing side, I seldom use Photoshop to correct some pics I take for my own personal archives, although I might be in a position to sell them soon. More than raw processing power, I need thin and light, and fully equipped - things others might discard like a 56K modem are absolutely essential to me, as I expect to travel in far off places where wireless and broadband are yet to come and 56K is more like it. I can live with the smaller 12 inch screen, since I have plenty of CRT and LCD monitors at home. I have used both 12 last generation ibooks and powerbooks, the one qualm I have about them is the heating - they both seem to heat considerably where you tend to place your left palm, although the powerbook fares better since it has an aluminium casing. Given that a brand new ibook 12.1 costs the same around here, I would definetely choose the Powerbook over it.
So, the big question is, should I join the waiting game or should I just go for it and start using my PB as early as Wednesday? I do not need anything right here and now, but I am expecting to start travelling on assignment from the middle of March, and I most positevely need something up and running there. If I keep waiting I might be forced to backtrack on a Winblows laptop should the new MacTels not be available...
Sorry for the long post and merry xmas everyone!