Thread: iPhone 2012 ;)
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-10-08, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Not ever? Yeah, me neither. Right now? Plenty of reasons.
I should note that I'm not disagreeing with Gruber's central thesis. He's essentially looking at the disappointed reactions to the 4S and asking, "What more did you people want?" He's asking why the hell people are disappointed, besides the not-5 name.

I'm not disappointed with the iPhone 4S. I think it's the best phone in the world, hands down, and I'd buy one if my network carried it. I'm not saying it will flop because it has a 3.5" screen. But instead of arguing why the 4S kept the same screen size, Gruber seems to be arguing that all iPhones will, which strikes me as a really good way to be wrong. (He also misrepresents the other argument, which strikes me as disingenuous and not up to his usual standard.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
It does seem like changing the iPhone's screen size is near and dear to your heart, though…
Well, I have a 4.3" phone right now, and I like it. And I think a 16:9 screen makes sense, so that when you watched 16:9 video you wouldn't have to do the double-tap to zoom in/out thing. And the shape of the iPhone is closer to 16:9 anyway...

Idunno. I'd sort of like to be involved in the creation of iPhone games, someday, and I guess I'd like to have a wider canvas upon which to paint. I mean, a 4.5" screen...that's PlayStation Vita territory. I think a wider window could make the experience more immersive. The holy grail is a console-quality experience, not just in specs and performance but also in immersion and production values, and I think a wider window to the game world could help complete that experience.

You're free to disagree, of course. And I understand why people value compactness, too. That's why I view it as an expansion of the line-up. I'm not saying Apple will make 4.5" the One True Screen Size, just that I don't think 3.5" will always be the same.