View Single Post
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-02-13, 18:44

Anywho, I'm assigned to write a school research paper about sharing copyrighted files, the RIAA/MPAA, lawsuits, etc. The assignment includes developing a thesis as to my opinion on the lawsuits, and the morality of sharing music/movies online.

I find it difficult to conduct research on this topic, because often those who are most "in the know" about file sharing and the lawsuits are avid file sharers themselves, although this article has proved to be very insightful. You guys have proved to be a very level-headed and informed community, hence this thread.

Now before we begin discussion, let's review the posting guidelines, in the interest of keeping this thread legit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posting Guidelines
Posting requests or information about obtaining pirated or illegally-distributed software is prohibited. Any and all such posts may be removed without warning. If the offending member continues with such posts, he or she is subject to immediate suspension from the forums for any amount of time the administrators or moderators deem necessary. Furthermore, posts asking for technical support regarding pirated software, requesting or breaking serial numbers, or otherwise bypassing licensing schemes is also not allowed and will be treated in the same manner as posts that directly ask for pirated software.
With that out of the way, I've noticed growing angst towards these regulatory organizations as of late. There are more news articles every day showing what corporate greed can wreak amongst working-class families. "eff the RIAA" has become a popular cliche among students at my school, and every lawsuit news story seems to be getting everybody angrier at the RIAA and MPAA. You wouldn't believe how much anti-RIAA/MPAA stuff (t-shirts, stickers, signs) I've seen around town lately.

What are your thoughts on the lawsuits, and the RIAA/MPAA? Defenders of intellectual property, or greedy exploitive asses?

How are they getting the information to incriminate these people? Loads of people at my school share music/movies through Gnutella, and more recently BitTorrent... how much of a risk are they taking?

I'm not starting this thread for advice on sharing copyrighted content (note to newer members: please keep such file sharing advice out of the thread to avoid lockification), but rather to gain insight as to the method to these organizations' madness.

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2006-02-13 at 21:13.