View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-20, 14:52

Logitech MX1000 > *

It's rather expensive, though. The MSRP is $80 and NewEgg charges $60 after shipping. But it's really, really good. It has great battery life, a battery indicator, a charging station, excellent tracking, excellent comfort, and it has a lot of buttons. There are very few disadvantages, and they are minor. First of all, it's expensive, but I think it's worth it since you use a mouse CONSTANTLY and you want it to be as good as possible. Secondly, it's only suitable for right-handers. The battery is built into the mouse and while it might be replaceable, it's not as easy as just tossing in a AA cell or two. Logitech's software in general is not very good at all. Most notably, there's no way to adjust horizontal scrolling speed, which is far too slow to be useful in OS X. And finally, it's not perfect for a mobile setup since the wireless receiver is also a charger and serves as a base station. It's bulky and uses a power cord to charge the mouse's battery.

So I'd say the MX1000 is by far the best desktop mouse. If you're looking for something cheaper, I might suggest a Kensington. Their PilotMouse series has always felt high-quality to me, and very comfortable with rubber grips all around instead of hard plastic.

Don't get an MS mouse. They're not the worst, but they're still really cheap and I have always felt I'd be able to crush the mouse in my hand by simply squeezing a little too hard. I've used worse mice, but MS gets the nod for the worst mice from a major company.