View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-09-04, 20:03

Exactly. I didn't want to comment on that because it was such a huge target...

These days, just looking at the charts and also hearing what's on when I do put the radio on, I don't consider "airplay", in and of itself, to mean damn much of anything.

Have you HEARD some of the crap that gets played on stations, in fairly heavy rotation?

As for the Green Day/U2 thing, I agree with that too.

If Green Day is actually around in another decade or so - and continues to produce "important" albums - then there may truly be a place for it. And an actual demand, besides seven people.

We can quibble on their validity and impact, but I simply don't think they've made a huge, wide-ranging impact. Not in the way U2 has. And I truly doubt they ever will. They're not that type of band, really.

That's not a slam, that's just the case. 20 years after the fact, people STILL talk about U2's Live Aid performance in London.

If "airplay", sales, popularity, contributions to pop culture, fashion, expanding beyond the music business and having success in other pursuits, etc. are all the factors that go into this, Garth Brooks or Madonna deserve a SE iPod before Green Day, for crying out loud.