View Single Post
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-08-13, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I solved my problem by rearranging my calendars in iCal. Does that not work for you? It's not a fix, but just a workaround - since the vast majority of the appointments I create on my iPhone are "sessions" (as in individual therapy sessions), I moved that one to the bottom to get most of my iPhone created appointments in the right category. Try it and see how it works.

edit: I just read your post from before and you say it didn't work. Hmm. Quit and restart iCal AND iTunes before trying the rearranging. I think iTunes being open keeps the changes from sticking in iCal.
Thanks very much. I just tried the above, with the various quitting of the involved apps, and then synced, and an iPhone-to-iCal sync now seems to have my iPhone-created events in the right calendar in iCal (one of mine, as opposed to one of the read-only ones as before).

As I mentioned above, I had tried the re-ordering workaround back on July 7 but it didn't seem to take. I guess quitting both apps is the key quirk to the workaround. (I was having a similar ordering problem with iPhoto-to-Photos syncing, but I was able to fix that one by playing around with both apps *open.* Seems to be some very quirky ordering in iPhone, whether it's this Calendar bug, the ordering of Photo albums, or even the intra-card ordering of Contacts data (see my bug list above for the Photos and Contacts bugs).)

In any event, this is one nasty bug. I had created some events on my iPhone last night and then synced with iCal. As described above, the events were synced to the wrong calendar in iCal (a read-only calendar called "U.S. Holidays") and then the read-only calendar performed its daily update/refresh, which *overwrote/deleted* my iPhone-created events.

I then re-synced my iPhone (after updating a few contacts), and since iCal had been updated more recently than Calendar, the iPhone-created events were completely wiped out of Calendar on my iPhone. So instead of backing them up, they were wiped away as if they had never existed.

Thanks again for the workaround. I guess it's to Apple's credit that there aren't a lot more of these types of bugs in a first-gen, v1 release. This Calendar bug and the iPod/"Top 25 Most Played" playlist bug (above) are the only really nasty bugs I've encountered, and the latter playlist bug certainly is not earth-shattering.

EDIT: As 'torifile' noted back on July 6, the Calendar preference in iTunes always defaults to one's bottom-most calendar in iCal. Thus, re-ordering one's iCal calendars, with iTunes open and possibly even with it closed, will break one's Calendar preference and possibly *trigger* the above bug for people who weren't having it in the first place. People need to be very careful or they could find themselves missing a lot of data.

Last edited by apple007 : 2007-08-13 at 12:20.