View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-11-10, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I know we don't have reviews, teardowns, benchmarks, etc., but for those of you who know about such things, how does this new Air, on paper/what we saw today, shake out against, say, an early 2013 13" MacBook Pro (Retina) with 2.6GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM and Intel HD Graphics 4000?

Just the age along, seven-plus years, says a lot, right?

I'm happy with the performance of this loaner (that seems to have become a full-timer).

I don't have anything to compare to...cores and this and that don't register with me.

Would could possibly be the real-world difference between a 7-core GPU and the 8-core? If it were 4-core vs. 8-core, that's a little more clear-cut. But 7 to 8...
In terms of speed the new M1 chips should be a very noticeable upgrade over anything Apple was shipping in 2013. As for the GPU, who knows, those core count numbers mean very little compared to other iGPs in the notebook market. In terms of the raw performance numbers, it's good for a IGP for 2020. It's what you get if you buy a Mac now, so it is what it is. It will an improvement over any IGP Intel has shipped in the last 8-10 years, no doubt about it. Core count? In terms of GPU's generally more is better, since they are parallel compute units at the end of the day.