View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-04, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
(I am also glad it is being recognized that my basement was not the lone or even major cause of the laggy center empty as it was)...
Between all the mining operations, underground paths/trails/tunnels, basements of varying complexity, animated blocks, redstone contraptions, tree farms, chests full of crap (yes, each item in a chest is rendered as if it were a full block—not stack mind you, but each *item!*), all the crops, farms and animals, etc., natural caves/caverns … the list goes on.

Each of these things is rendered by the system. Downtown has effectively become a no-go zone for slower computers (mine included). Hell, I completely rebuilt my basement out at the Palace with a 108-item sorting system and the frame rates drop below 5 some days due to the tremendous number of individual items (including each item in each chest) and the redstone clocks. It's hell in there, and it may get unplugged.

So, yeah, Bruce, your basement wasn't the sole cause of disruption in downtown. But, it was a contributing factor, just as every other contraption in the downtown area is. Things improved after its "deletion", but then got worse, again, after I built the Monument Tower. I never factored in the delay caused by 15,000 animated Prismarine bricks. didn't even think about it. Not until I was up around 180 blocks above ground and was afraid of running off the edge because the frame rates were so crappy. It's terrible, and the only solution is to bring it down (or move it should copy/paste become an option, again).

Knowing what I've learned over the past 2 years I've been playing is why I'm suggesting these rules changes. There is simply too much [underground] clutter, too many chests stuffed to capacity, too many clocks, etc. Downtown is crowded with junk. I think the only solution going forward is to reserve the entirety of the downtown (spawn) area for aboveground displays and keep our vast mining/redstone operations out on the fringes where they will be unloaded for other players and, thus, result in smoother gameplay.

There's no way to fix the current map. This needs to happen when we start fresh.

Edit: The nature of the game for all of us is basically the same: When starting out new, stake a claim and mine down. It's that close proximity of mining and then our desire to build on top of our mines for the sake of efficiency. Why move stuff when I can just build right here? Then, we become attached to our claim, store all our crap, mine more, build a titanic basement, mine and build and experiment with redstone and mine some more. This localized congestion is what has lead to downtown's pokey game play and crappy frame rates. If we move our mining operations out, build a transportation network to make moving materials toward center easier, then build display buildings etc. I think we will see the following:

1) Improved frame rates throughout the game;
2) A nicer looking, more organized downtown area;
3) More minable resources per player
4) Less overall congestion

Then, if we want to build some whacky, zany, crazy redstone farm/sorter/thingamabooger, we can head to our out-in-the-boonies claims and knock ourselves out!

Perhaps we could also leave the CC world running so we can log in at will if we want to return to unfinished projects? Turtle, would having two "servers" running in unison be too much for the server?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2015-11-04 at 17:05.