Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-12, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
The sport uses high strength but light weight custom aluminum alloy..... typically if you want something to be lighter and of the same or greater strength it costs more.

The way Apple has been presenting the watches certainly falls in line with their Good, Better, Best strategy as well, so I have to believe that if they are putting the Apple Watch Sport consistently in the middle, that it costs more than the Apple Watch.

I'm not convinced the bands are even included in the base price.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I can't possibly see how the Apple Watch Sport, with its glass screen, aluminum case, and "composite" (read: plastic) back is supposed to cost more than the Apple Watch, with its sapphire crystal screen, polished stainless steel case, and ceramic back, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It's nice that they found the lightweight/sport angle, which saves them from having to say "this is the cheap model!" but it is pretty transparently an entry level model made from cheaper materials, only available with the cheaper bands, coming in 5C-esque youthful colors, &c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
so which band is the base band then?
The sport band, which is the only one available in all the "collections" and is made from a please-don't-call-it-plastic material instead of leather or steel…?

I feel like maybe you're starting with an incorrect assumption — the Apple Watch Sport has to be more expensive than the Apple Watch, because reasons — and that's what's making you confused when the truth of the line-up just seems so obvious to me. Just look at the products. Look at the colors, and the language that Apple is using to describe the different collections, look at how much virtual ink they spill on the stainless steel and the sapphire crystal display and then on the Apple Watch Sport they're just like, well, it's lighter!

The Sport being the entry level really could not be clearer to me. But again, we'll just have to agree to disagree (because I sure as hell aren't going to change your mind).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2014-09-12 at 13:31.