Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-13, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
The math in that article doesn't add up. The case would cost $600. Ok. And then the internals would double that? How, if I can get a different case and the same internals for $350?
The internals and markup would double it. I'm guessing Apple's looking to make more on each Edition watch than they do in each Sport.

709: I don't think Apple cares about the smartwatch totem (is there such a thing?). I think they care about watches, period, and what watches could be. They never used the term smartwatch. "Smartwatch" sounds geeky, like a Casio Data Bank. This is about the intersection of technology and fashion, because that's the only way a smarter watch is ever going to be desirable to any but the most Linuxy of neckbeards.

That's why they didn't call it the iWatch. iWatch sounds like a techy gadget, and Apple wanted to make something that wasn't "just" a techy gadget.

Every time Apple makes a device that's further on the continuum away from a traditional PC, the same criticisms pop up. It's dismissed as a toy, every time. It's not important or disruptive until suddenly it is, until suddenly we can't imagine living without it. I'm not saying I'm convinced the Apple Watch will be the next iPhone. Nothing is — the only product that's as profitable as the iPhone is, like, oil. But I'm not going to dismiss it. I think Apple views it as the next step on that continuum, away from traditional PCs and toward more personal, intimate technology.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong