View Single Post
jordan

2005-01-13, 13:21

Greetings all,

I could really use some expert advice regarding an iBook purchase. This will be the first Mac that I have ever owned or used. I have heard a number of great comments regarding Apple so I thought I would give them a try.

I am broke so I can only afford the 12 inch iBook and will upgrade to 60 gig hard-drive, add applecare, and purchase 512 RAM from Crucial (even though I am very nervous to install it myself).

My questions:

1) When is a good time to buy the iBook? I know that it was updated last Oct. I would really like to buy one as soon as possible but I read some stuff regarding an updated iBook coming out when Tiger is released (maybe Video card etc). I sort of get the impression that the iBook is currently a bit of an old dog hardware wise - is this the case? Also, should I wait until after Jan. 22 to get the new 05 software or will it ship with the new software if I order now?

2) Is the computer and uprades I've chosen going to keep me happy for the next 3 years that I will be using the computer? Aside from using it for email, webpage construction, and university work, I tend to use my computers for listening to all my music and intend to do some recording in the next few months (nothing too serious).

3) Did Apple ever fix the motherboard (?) and screen defect problems they were having with the iBook?

4) Is the ram really that easy to install?

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks very much in advance!

Regards,

Jordan