View Single Post
porter

2005-03-18, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by powdersnow87
Hey. I am a graduating high school senior, and after four years of an instable, lemon of a PC, I've decided to switch over to Mac (yay).

The problem is, i keep vacillating on what to buy. To powerbook? To iMac 17"? To iMac 20"?
I'm in the same boat as you. G5 vs. portability...

First off, do you really need/want to bring a computer everywhere you go?
Yes the iMac is a desktop and it is a bit of a hassle to move it, but no where near a typical desktop. So if you just need to move it a few times a year, I think the iMac is portable enough.

Secondly, laptops break down more. Even when you use it primarily as a desktop replacement, you'll still have issues with the battery, and for me at least, I had overheating issues with my last laptop as it aged.

And security-wise, yes the iMac is 20lbs but it's still pretty damn easy to steal. Just as easy as the laptop, so you want to secure the iMac if you get that.

I'd avoid the 20" iMac simply because I think it's too big for a dorm environment.

How long do you want to use the computer? If you get a G5, it will last several years because as more features are put onto the OS and more complex programs come out, it will age gracefully. If you get a 1.33Ghz G4, yes it will run Tiger, but it may not handle 10.5, 10.6 so well. If you plan to upgrade your computer after you graduate, then the PB should be perfectly fine.

I'm either looking at the 12" iBook (great value) or the 17" 1.6Ghz iMac.
I'd be much happier with the iMac in my apt. But the thought of surfing the web wirelessly on my iBook at Starbucks or when I'm on a roadtrip and spending the night at some motel has me leaning toward the iBook.