Thread: iMac G5
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-31, 05:22

Okay, I've looked at it some more. Nope, I was right...it's ugly.

That big chunk of white expanse below the display...it makes it look like Jay Leno. And totally takes away from the "widescreen" look. The Cinema Displays, 15" and 17" PowerBooks and the previous 17" and 20" iMac G4 all make you notice "hey, that's a cool widescreen...".

I realize they had to cram guts and speakers in there, but that big white ocean below the display just throws me off. If that were maybe half the depth, I might not think this way. As it is, it's all you see. And a big logo stuck there to help "sell it".

If I'd mocked something up with that much "dead space", you people would've torn me a new one!

Then, on the back, you have, for some reason, "iMac" in this tacky 148 pt. HUGE type. Where the hell did that come from? Why?

I'm much more impressed by what's under the hood this time around. Hell, I kinda have to be, because this is the first iMac that I'd consider "unattractive from every angle".

BUT, since PC people are used to that and didn't seem to be taken with the swoops, curves, etc., perhaps this will work in Apple's favor. Something plain, utilitarian and ugly has been the key all along, poor Ive just didn't realize it!