View Single Post
Dave
Ninja Editor

2018-04-04, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I agree, mostly. While Apple clearly wants to keep all their systems in the same "compatibility" atmosphere, I think they are likely to either: A) Start at the very low end and hope strong adoption will carry the cost of R&D; or B) They will start at the high end to showcase some whiz-bang tech and hope the high cost of adoption amongst a small group will carry the cost of R&D.

I think it will be the former, rather than the latter. It will start with the Mac Mini and the MacBook. And I'm still convinced it will happen sooner than 2020.
The (well, “a”) problem with starting on the low end is that it makes the x86 emulation that much more painful. Unless Apple can really do that much better than Intel, anyway. But if so, why limit it to the low end, since native code would absolutely stomp the “high-end” x86 models?

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.