View Single Post
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-08-02, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Naw, it's just that anodized Al is tough stuff, but less chemically reactive than stainless steel (ie, crap sticks less). It's also not reactive to acids like raw Al, so you don't get that metallic taste in your food. I have seen Teflon coated anodized Al, but it's worthless, IMO. Stainless (or cast iron) has better heat distribution, but food sticks in a heartbeat requiring more fat/oil
Right. It's kind of ironic that when I was looking for a "built-in" nonstick instead of just coated nonstick, I thought that anodized aluminum was the answer, having bonded the Teflon, but the real answer was a properly seasoned cast iron skillet. Indeed, of all pot & pans I've had, I've always found my cast iron skillet to be the easiest to clean. Even if there's stuck-on food, I just scrape it without worrying about scratching the skillet, and apparently it works because when it's cooking with oils, it repairs itself. Now try to get Teflon to do that!

Quote:
I completely recommend a range of types of pans for different needs - we just like the Calphalon for everyday cooking.
I have to agree that you're right. However, I hate the idea of having a closet full of various pots & pans falling out and killing me. If there were such a set that represented the minimum numbers of pots/pans and the materials they use while providing the most range of utility, I'm all ears.