Thread: Apple and Tesla
View Single Post
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2019-05-02, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Kind of. In the early years, their strategy to start with a roadster, continue with a luxury sedan and keep on moving further downmarket seemed smart and to work out well.

I'd also say they've successfully rattled some feathers at the big ol' corps like Daimler.

But… after that? They seem to have trouble moving mass-market, and Musk increasingly comes off not so much as a brilliant visionary but as a bumbling idiot who keeps deservedly running into trouble with the SEC (imagine half as much oversight for politicians…).
If by trouble you mean the greatest year over year production and sales gains ever for an American auto manufacturer, then sure. Again, I really do believe that Tesla is getting judged by a standard that no one else has ever achieved.

As for Musk.... I recommend you (and anyone else) watch Elon's Joe Rogan podcast. To call him a bumbling idiot is easy to do... at a surface level. But really watch that podcast and try to see him and understand him as a person. He is truly someone who has a gift.... "brilliant" is a good descriptor for him.... but he also very obviously has some very odd and sad quirks/anxieties/social challenges... I really think there is a disorder there but I dont know what.... there are obvious common sense things and social cues that fly over his head. And it's very clear that he is also a victim of his own brilliance.... that it wears on him, and causes a lot of negative traits and after watching that podcast I truly felt bad for him . He is human. But, thank god there are people like him to dream big and that are smart enough and crazy enough to do something about it.

He should not be the CEO of anything. He should not be in charge of operations. That's where Apple could come in to help. The reality is that Steve Jobs was not all that different.

Quote:
Which maybe goes to your point — Tesla could use some more professional management, and Apple could use some of Tesla's innovation.

I just don't think there's much left for Tesla to offer, and I don't think they're a great fit. That could just be conservative me, though — I'd much rather Apple stay focus on IT.

again, the amount of investment that Tesla has made in its gigafactories, superchargers, its manufacturing and distribution is huge. They are the biggest and best battery manufacturer in the world (with the help of Panasonic). If you watch their autonomy keynote from a week ago you will also see that they have a massive advantage in the autonomy field by having the largest fleet of autonomous capable vehicles providing neural network feedback.

Quote:
That was true a few years ago, but the Model 3 hasn't lived up to its promise.
Huh? Care to back that up?

Quote:
It's not that Tesla lacks market share. It's that they seem to have run out of ideas.
you don't follow Tesla too closely huh?

There is rarely a week that goes by without a Tesla announcement/software feature release. Their product pipeline may seem obvious but is clear and ambitious. Their autopilot software has finally started rapidly increasing it's features and seeing consistent improvement after a 2-3 year reboot due to a shift in approach. They just produced their first in-house self-driving silicon and it's already in cars being sold today. If anything, I am worried that Tesla is being way too conservative with the Model Y, they clearly have been scared off by manufacturing challenges.

Last edited by Brave Ulysses : 2019-05-02 at 23:07.