View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-07, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I think that was back when people were speculating Apple might introduce a "cable replacement" IPTV channel bundle, like Sling, PlayStation Vue, or Hulu with Live TV. If they were doing that, that pricing might make sense.

But we know now that isn't what they're doing, at least at first. Apple TV+ is a now clearly positioned as a streaming service for Apple's original shows and movies. I don't think anyone's expecting that service to be $30/mo. It'd be dead in the water.
That might be it, alright. But, Apple hasn't said boo about pricing, so that's the last number to go with. Judging by Apple Music and Apple News+, though, $10-$15 per month sounds logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Even HBO is $14.99, and that includes a lot of Hollywood movies in addition to their original shows.
Yeah, I'm not sure Apple's service will be worth more than $5/mo if all it is is their own stuff. Free might actually be too much to pay.

I mean, Disney+ will be $6.99, and they have a catalog spanning decades, and properties with more fanatical followers than Apple has nickels! For $12.99, that catalog expands to include a chunk of sports, and a whole bunch of random TV shows. Basically, Disney gets pretty much everyone. Apple really needs to have more available than the few shows they teased. Unless, well, Oprah. I suppose she has a fan or two, but…

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)