View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-07, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
These things are rapidly becoming TV-show-app-things and there is a crap-ton of variety for relatively cheap. I mean, Netflix, Apple TV+, and Disney+ look like they can all be had for around $45/month, which is a lot cheaper than Cable and viewers don't have to wade through 300+ channels of fluff.
I think there’s a good chance that those services together will actually be closer to $30. For $45, you could add HBO. Or ESPN+, Hulu, and CBS All Access.

It’s great. We’re finally getting the a la carte “pay only for the content I want” dream, and now people are complaining that one $9.99/mo service doesn’t have everything (which was never going to be sustainable once streaming became the primary distribution mechanism). And it’s even better, because unlike with cable companies there are no contracts for any of these services, so you can subscribe to HBO while your show is on and then drop it until the next season. Or subscribe to Netflix for a month for Stranger Things and then drop it. You don’t even have to pick up the phone.

And most of these services are ad-free. And you can watch what you want whenever. This really is a golden Age of Television.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong