View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-18, 14:55

I think you'll get one of the two.

But I'm not sure how Apple would avoid making their new laptop look like an evolution of the TiBook, because that's what it is. Like, it'll still be a silver rectangle, unless you get the space gray one. But I don't think that's a problem? A modern MacBook really doesn't look that much like a TiBook, besides being a silver rectangle, because everything else has changed. The hinge is different, the latch is different, the taper of the sides is different, the all-metal construction is different...and besides, I think people who buy a MacBook Pro want something that looks like a MacBook Pro.

I think a lot of people would be upset if the new MacBook Pro was, say, wedge-shaped. A lot of people would yell that it was just a big MacBook Air for twice the price, based solely on the shape, because people are weird like that.

There might be a case to be made that the MacBook Pro hasn't evolved enough (or improved enough) since the introduction of the unibody in 2008. That was sort of the watershed moment where the MacBook Pro started looking like today's MacBook Pro — those machines still look modern, in a way the TiBook and AlBook and 2006 MacBook Pro don't. And the things Apple has done with the MBP since then — making it thinner by removing optical drives and going all-SSD, and then making it thinner again by taking the depth out of the keyboard — haven't been all positive.

I'd consider it a win if the new MacBook Pro was, when closed, visually indistinguishable from the current model — but, when open, it has a larger screen and a keyboard with more depth. Because improving the keyboard will mean less room for everything else in the bottom half of the case. I don't think this new MacBook Pro is going to be a form change — it's going to be a do-over. What a pro notebook in the current MBP's form should be.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong