View Single Post
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2006-01-25, 13:22

My 2c before I go to bed....

I'm not sure what you've got against java, its a great language and a great way to learn OOP principles... and there is a whole lot more documentation, courses, and books etc. than on cocoa/obj-c.

Now that being said... say you want to learn Obj-C, why not just start coding in it. It will come to you, and soon you will learn the ins and outs of instantiating objcets, methods calls, reusing objects, extending classes etc. trust me you will.

When I say "just start coding in it" I mean exactly that, dont worry if you are using procdeural or object oriented coding techniques... become familiar with an object oriented languages' syntax and the concepts will reveal themselves to you, thats how they do it with intro level java anyway. I recommend a program that tests for Palindromes as your next program following HelloWorld, that's what I've been using and it's just complex enough to be interesting, and give the language a bit of a workout.

If you are so inclined, you could always post your creations back here for critique.

I sincerely recommend java, I really do think the available resources for cocoa are sub-standard (this is my opinion), and if you are learning OOP, you should start on something where you can google it and get an answer... or post it here and have all the closet java programmers look at your code.

EDIT: Please dont get the idea I hate cocoa, I've been having some real fun coding for the Spider Solitaire X project (in cocoa) theres just been a couple of speedbumps here and there that have really bugged me because they came about from (IMHO) inadequate documentation.