View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-02-16, 12:16

Since last night, the little ring around the power jack on my PowerBook has been orange, instead of the usual green. However, the little battery menu icon says "Battery is charged". When I removed the power and plugged it back in an hour or so ago, the ring went to green for about 20-30 seconds, but then back to orange...where it's been ever since (so I know it's capable of showing green, and that's not the problem).

The PowerBook isn't running hot, there's no weird fan activity and it's working/behaving just fine (no odd performance glitches, crashes, etc.). It's a first-gen 15" aluminum PowerBook (1.25GHz, from autumn 2003), and I'm running Leopard 10.5.2 (with all other updates from the past few weeks) and I have 1.25GB RAM. This is a replacement, third-party battery from Newer Tech, but I've had it since September and it's worked just fine (gives me a good 45 minutes or more than the stock, worn-down battery that originally came with the PowerBook).

I wonder if it's 10.5.2-related in some way (although I just noticed this last night, around 10:30 or so, onward). I did shut the entire thing down for the night when I went to bed, thinking maybe that might do something. It remained orange after the PowerBook was completely shut down, and when I got up this morning, it was still orange. Never went to green, as far as I know.

BTW, I've not monkeyed with my Energy Saver settings either. I've not touched that in ages.

What do you think this could be? Any thoughts? I've noticed this before in the past 6-12 months, that it'll sometimes go to orange for a brief period, but always back to green. But it's been solid orange since last night, and I'm not sure what to make of it. Pics below of the light itself, and of my battery menu info to more clearly show what I'm talking about: