View Single Post
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2010-06-25, 08:46

This dish isn't really anything... it doesn't come from any particular origin, doesn't have a history to speak of, doesn't mean anything, isn't traditional etc. But it tastes soooo good. Like, really good. And I don't even like soup.

Curry Kumara/Sweet Potato Soup

Category: Entree or Main. We have it as a main. It's soup.
Prep time: 10-20 minutes.
Cooking time: 10-20 minutes. (Can have a batch done in 20 mins, including prep).
Ingredients:
4 or so decent sized kumara (also known as sweet potato)
2 teaspoons curry powder
2 tablespoons butter
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, crushed or chopped
300 mls of cream
milk to thin
1 cup of water (approx)
bacon (garnish)
bread rolls/garlic bread (side)

Peel the kumara/sweet potatoes and chop into rough cubes. Set aside. Put your butter in a large pot and melt it up. Add the curry powder and garlic and stir it around a bit. Add the kumara/sweet potatoes. Fry them in the butter and stir them round until they're soft and golden. Add the water and leave it to simmer until the kumara/sweet potatoes are soft and mashable. Mash or blend the kumara until they're thick and gluggy. Add the cream and mix it in. Add milk and mix or blend it in until it's about the right consistency for soup (up to you). Leave the soup to heat through.

Chop the bacon up into small-ish pieces and fry it. If there's two of us cooking, we like to start the bacon at the same time as the soup. If there's just one, I do the soup and then do the bacon. Serve the bacon pieces on top of the soup as a garnish.

You can toast the rolls or do whatever. We like ours toasted with garlic butter on. Yummy!

Serve the whole lot together. This soup is warming and tasty and is quite good winter comfort food. Although you could eat it any time. I don't generally go for soups, but I can polish off three or so bowls in a row of this.