View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-22, 14:42

I've lamented this for ages. Just 8-10 short years ago (okay, maybe more like 10-12?), Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, Trvl, etc. were a bunch of good, informative shows. Landscaping, building, nature, "how stuff works" (or is made), how to cook, shows about how buildings and bridges are built, history shows that didn't focus on Hitler 24/7, how to build a deck on your house, animals, documentaries and other informative fare, travel (cutie-pie Samantha Brown showing me the world), etc.

You now have to turn to YouTube for all the above (and even that's a challenge or task, some times).

Somewhere along the way the above networks turned into showcasing drama queens, whores, bitches, bro-dudes, meth-heads, moonshiners, crybabies, mental patients, rednecks, white trash, black trash, criminals, parolees, lowlives, sub-literates, car repo men, low-rent hot-rod builders and, astoundingly, every occupation that could ever exist: storage facility owners, pawn shop owners, real estate agents, flippers, tuna fisherman, tattoo artists, gold panners, etc. Along with - I'm not done yet - hoarders, addicts, bridezillas, babysitters, brat kids, the morbidly obese (My 600-Pound Life(?) is a show) and your everyday, run-of-the-mill morons who can't figure out how to stay out of county lockup.

It's horrible. And a shame. As if all the above shit hasn't invaded every other channel (the networks, the 24/7 "news" channels, ESPN and all its offshoots, etc.). The only way to escape is to pretty much not turn your TV on in 2022.

I would've lost everything I had, betting, 10-15 years ago, that "this stupid reality stuff will fizzle out by 2015 or so...there just isn't enough of a market for fat, dumb whores and the backwards-hat-wearing/Tap-Out T-shirt men who cheat on them."

Yeah, I missed that by about 22 miles...

The above networks should be ashamed of themselves. They've done nothing, this past 8-10 years, except contribute to the coarsening (and shitheadification) of the culture. Absolute, L.C.D. trash from what used to be legit, informative networks.

I like a lot of the channels included in Discovery+, but you definitely have to pick-and-choose and wade through a lot of crap, no doubt. For some reason, Trvl no longer shows travel shows, but, instead, 24/7 ghost-hunting/paranormal/My Attic Is Haunted (season 17) horseshit, wall-to-wall.

Basic cable - and the channels making up all these "+" streaming services - is a wasteland.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-02-22 at 14:57.