View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-30, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_tj
I've posted a guide to doing this exact thing at Apple Hacks.

Enjoy!!!
Thanks. That's pretty interesting, but still a bit more work than it should have to be. I've pretty much figured something like that out on my own, but what a cumbersome pain in the ass! Hardly Apple-like. And ast3r3x, I shouldn't have to fart around with the Terminal. I'm not that kind of user, and neither are bazillions of others out there. Let's be sensible, and realistic, here.

A simple check box.

No Terminal stuff. No manual fooling around with Libraries and so forth. I'm fairly experienced and comfortable on Macs and OS X, and even I don't want to go down that road. And most people I know using Macs are somewhat new to it (or OS X) or just aren't that type of user, and certainly don't need to be doing that either. Do you realize how many botched, fucked-up Macs would result if casual, non-geek users get into the Terminal, or start monkeying around with moving System level stuff?

Exactly.

Besides, it kinda damages the notion that Macs are simple and elegant. A straightforward, easy-to-understand (and idiot-proof) check box is more "the Apple way".