View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-21, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Given that they bumped the $329 iPad in specs, and added Pencil and all, I really don't understand why they bothered to reintroduce the Air. Unless it sold so poorly that they scrambled to do so?
I can only guess that they are hoping that pesky "Air" word has enough marketing momentum behind it to sell a few units which are slightly more profitable than the not-Air model. But, for what people use iPads for (and just like the laptop line) there are either consumers (MacBook Air) and Pros (MacBook Pro), and iPads … and Airs and Pros and Minis. It's confusing.

"Why should I buy an Air instead of the cheaper one?"

"Because you're crazy!"

Granted, the Air has a better and [slightly] bigger screen, a higher resolution camera, and a faster SOC. Yep, that will make for a much better Facebook experience.

Apple has spent a lot of marketing money showing us what we can do with our iPads, but to date I'm just not seeing a lot of that in the wild. It's mostly just social media and simple gaming, and the regular ol' everyday iPad is more than up to the task. Those folks who spend days and weeks and months and years in front of photo editing tools and audio mixers and 4k editing apps should spring for the Pro. The Air is a goofy outlier that makes very little sense.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)