View Single Post
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-04-12, 14:14

This mac rumors article is stating that merom will drop into the same socket that the core duo uses. Although I have not got the time to search intels site id does link to another article with this snippet...
Quote:
Intel's Mooly Eden showed a benchmark pitting a Dell Core Duo system against the same system with a Merom processor (Eden literally swapped out the Core Duo CPU and stuck in a Merom processor, partly to showcase its backwards comptability).
Good news for us early adopters, a huge fart to those who thought they would wait and that Apple had made a mistake dropping back to 32bit.

This just goes to show the there is someone in Apple keeping on the ball. The intel transition has been kick started, then just at the right time Boot Camp and now an option of most early adopters to get 64 bit goodness for the price of just a new chip - £200 maybe if you buy as soon as they are out.

Oh and unlucky for all those that bought a MacBook Pro. The chips in those are soldered I believe.

If I can confirm this info, you can expect me to be one of the first people to get my sticky mits on a merom and try brain surgery on my iMac.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!