View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-23, 03:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
So, uh. Comet Lake-H would be nice. But, um.

What if the new big MacBook uses Comet Lake-U.
I'd have another reason to move away from macOS is what.

Also, they're going to higher-end ceilings on the desktop side with the iMac Pro and Mac Pro — surely they're not gonna do the opposite on the laptop side?

Quote:
In another recent thread, chucker said that ideally, MacBook Airs would use U-class processors and MacBook Pros would use H-class processors, but I'm not sure Apple agrees. I think Apple might feel that an ideal 2019 MacBook/Air would use a Y-class processor and an ideal 2019 MacBook Pro would use a U-class processor. It would maybe be a little weird, if the 13/14-inch MacBook Pro used a 28W Ice Lake-U chip and the 16-inch MacBook Pro used a 25W Comet Lake-U chip. But the Ice Lake-U chip's TDP would include graphics, and the Comet Lake-U chip wouldn't. So the total system power in the 16-inch Pro would still be higher. (And of course, maybe that 14-inch Pro would have to use a 15W chip, like the two-Thunderbolt-port models do today).
Yes, I can see Apple thinking along those lines but…

Quote:
Maybe there should be both a MacBook Pro and a thicker, beefier PowerBook.
Exactly.

Maybe Apple's apparent notion that almost all laptops should be Air-like is correct (that wouldn't surprise me). But it would leave a gap of a workhorse laptop. Keyboard complaints and everything aside, I think that's one of the underlying currents of what's wrong with the 2016 models.

They mitigated it somewhat by moving the 15-inchers away from LPDDR again towards DDR, but from an assortment of weaknesses like the throttling issues (which it appears they've mostly fixed swiftly, but which damaged the reputation for much longer than that), they kind of retained the status of not being high-end.

And honestly, I just don't get the marketing here. If the iMac Pro and Mac Pro are workhorses, and they very clearly are (almost nobody should be buying them), then the MacBook Pro should be the mobile workhorse. A -U CPU sends the opposite signal.

Find a new suffix that isn't "Pro".

Last edited by chucker : 2019-08-23 at 03:12.