View Single Post
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2005-06-10, 11:02

This may sound crazy but I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see Windows offered by the Apple Store. The reasoning? If they aren't going to actively block Windows installs (per Schillers words) then they know that part of the appeal of the Mac-on-Intel boxes is that you can have a dual boot machine. Though this seemingly helps Windows, bottom line is that it makes it more convenient to buy from Apple and puts a machine with OS X in front them. A sort of half-step switch if you will. BTO would probably be taking a bit far as it would possibly get too close to raising support questions. If it's just something thats available in the software area it could more easily be taken out of inventory. I think they'd draw the line at selling Windows-based software though.

In a way by purposely leaving it open to install Windows on Macs (without support of course) they are setting themselves up to more directly compete with PC hardware manufacturers like Dell, HP etc. It's insidiously clever actually. The key here is pricing. As long as Apple doesn't price itself way out of the ballpark, the curious folks (early adopter types) may opt for a Mac to run Windows as it allows them try out OS X without making a full commitment.

Interesting (scary?) prospect is running benchmarks on a dual boot Mac. There will be no question as to which OS performs better when comparing cross platform apps. I can't imagine they'd even be considering allowing Windows installs on their machines if they weren't confident that OS X will be better at everything though... so bring it on!

Shhhh, I can't see!

Last edited by dviant : 2005-06-10 at 11:13.