View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-10-28, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer
I usually refuse to kill them. I've nothing against them, so I usually just try to get them outside when they are found.
Yeah, me too. Except for the demon sofa spider ( ), I try to catch critters in a large water glass and set them free outside.

I caught a black widow in the garage once, but I had a dog and didn't want to release a poisonous spider into my yard. So I got in the car and drove that spider to a vacant lot a block away. I found it a spot that looked like a good home and released it there.

I know that may sound ridiculous to many of you; but I dislike destroying life in any of its forms. I mean, life is so precious, and every creature is such a miraculous work of art - small masterpieces of biological engineering. I can't bear to crush out such wonders, if I can help it.

It made me feel terrible when I had to have a hive of Africanized bees removed from a niche inside the eaves of my house. They had lots of honeycombs in there, poor things. But I had tree guys coming to do some major branch pruning, and couldn't risk the bees attacking the tree guys.