Thread: Exploring caves
View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-11-01, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynical_rock View Post
I've mainly been in karstic environment caves (majority of major cave sites) as well as some sea caves and glacier caves. Very cool places!
You mean scuba diving into sea caves, or going in by rubber rafts? I think underwater sea caves would be scary, because god knows what's in there. Could be a giant octopus or something. I went diving into a sunken tugboat once, and tried to go through the passageway inside, but I realized pretty quickly that I was in danger of getting wedged in without being able to turn around - with all that gear on.

You once posted that pic of a 'crevasse' with people looking down into it. I remember it well, because when I was a kid I saw an earthquake movie where the ground opened up and people fell in, and then the ground closed back up.

That scared the heck out of me at the time, and now that rather primeval fear lurks in the back of my mind. An icy crevasse I find really scary, especially the thought of one covered and hidden by a bunch of crusted snow. So easy to step on that crust, and then go falling doooown... *shiver*

Quote:
As to the different names we assign to different formations in the cave... Well, we just do that to amuse the tourists.
I wondered who assigned those names. Now I know.