View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-16, 15:17

I know we've got some Midwest ANers, some TN/GA/NC ones and then up through the Mid-Atlantic/New England places (don't we?). This system was supposed to come down from the Dakotas, pass through KC and Iowa, hit western/middle TN and the top half of Georgia and then turn northward and head up into the northeast tomorrow/Tuesday.

We've had nothing but steady rain here in Chattanooga since about 4pm yesterday, nearly 24 hours now. As usual, the mere mention of the "s" word caused everyone to lose their minds 48 hours ago and basically clear out the grocery shelves in anticipation for the entire entire 4-11 hours they could be tragically stranded in their homes.

Around 11am we started to get some snow, but temps were still 37-39. Nothing happened. Currently it's not doing anything at all...no rain, no snow, no sleet, no mist. Nothing. I think, at least here where I am, the only real story will be the tons of black ice and skating rink roads that might develop after sunset when temps will drop down below freezing. The "possible 2-5 inches of snow" forecast here obviously ain't gonna happen. Flakes, when they were falling, just hit the ground/roof/driveway and vanished.

But I saw on the Weather Channel where South and North Carolina may be getting a worse go of things, particularly with the ice.

Anyone had any major, crazy Izzy fallout or adventures? It's been pretty much a big mis-call here, but that's so often the case. There must just something about the geography/topography of Chattanooga (the way the mountains and ridges west and south of here are situated, etc.?) that almost always results in forecasts (heat, sun, rain, snow, ice, tornados, etc.) never panning out. Stuff always gets just to our southwest and then either splits and goes north and south of us, or just stalls/dissipates completely. It's weird how often this happens. Places 25-50 miles from me, both sides, will get hammered (heavy snow, ice, major storms/tornado warnings, etc.) but nothing at all here (except about 1-2 times a decade).

But, despite all this history/precedent, people here still panic/lose their shit/buy provisions for two months, and, 98.4% of the time it's for nothing at all. They botched this call bigger than most.

I've never really lived anywhere "meteorologically exciting". That near-decade I spent in Southern California? "Sunny and 78-84 every day. It might rain a few times for a three-week period in January...hit repeat". The one year I spent in Northern Virginia, near Quantico, we did get that "blizzard of '96" and I had snow up to my car door handle. That was a first. But that was probably the biggest, craziest thing I've ever dealt with, and it was all a non-issue in about 2-3 days (they're prepared for it...the roads were all driveable a day later). If Chattanooga ever got 18"+ of snow, we'd be shut down until about August.

Drew, did Atlanta get/is getting any of this? Brad, you're in NC...is it hitting there?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-16 at 15:28.