View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-17, 12:48

14-18"...yikes. Aside from that 1996 blizzard in Virginia, the highest snow I think I've ever experienced was here in Chattanooga in 1993, the year before we moved to California.

I measured out in the driveway, away from everything, and it was right at 11". It put the kibosh on things around here for a solid 2-3 days. But the roads were pretty decent after about two. So, even in that freakish scenario, things were "back to normal", stores/businesses open, roads passable, etc. in four days.

I don't know WTF these people buying all the things they were buying the other day, for a forecasted 2" "dusting" were thinking. Do the math...if everything is "normal" again in four days after an incredibly rare 9-11" snowfall here, how long should one expect to be truly stranded/inconvenienced for a 2" event?

People here just absolutely lose every bit of perspective, memory, common sense, sanity, grip on reality, history, practicality, finances, etc. the moment the local weather vixen mentions the "s" word. All bets are off! It's like someone rang the crazy bell and everyone somehow hears "possible 2-inch dusting in some areas" as "29-inch wall of white death and despair, and Yetis".

I've always wanted to make some sort of funny documentary type of thing during those times. Just visit about three nearby grocery stores a couple of days before a 2-3" "snow event" is forecast, and film the carts overflowing with food, the empty shelves, the long lines and interview people in the checkout lane/parking lot about their line of thinking.

"Welllll, you just never know...".

Yes the hell you do, knock it off.

I'd love to have all this shit officially documented for all to see.